Gila River Indian Community History
The location of the “Gila River Indian Community (GRIC)" traces its roots back to the Hohokam (ancestors of those who speak the O’odham language).
Today, the community is the homeland of the Akimel O’odham (O’odham) and the Pee-Posh (Maricopa) Tribes.
The Pee-Posh are a Yuman band that migrated from the southern Colorado River and established residency in a hamlet called “Maricopa Colony,” which is located in the most western part of the reservation.
The Pee-Posh became an ally of the O’odham and together they banned and fought against surrounding warring enemies. The two tribes agreed that each would follow their own traditions but would have a single council govern its affairs. For this reason, the “Gila River Indian Community” was coined.
The 373,365-acre reservation lies south of Phoenix, Tempe, and Chandler, AZ. The reservation was formally established by the Constitution in 1939.
The tribal administration offices are located in Sacation, Arizona.
Federally Recognized: 1859